The question came up in a blog discusion " What if I cant forgive myself?" is that biblical? In doing a little searching about that no where did I find in the bible that we need to do that. Mainly because Christ does the forgiving and also took the sin on Himself on our behalf 2 cor.5:21 and many more verses that support that. Because of all the self help books and the Dr. Dobson psyscho babble we are always talking about self esteem but really the biggest problem comes from pride or the need for flattery or consoling words as a salve for the hurt that guilt has caused to their pride.
I came across an article that helped me understand this about forgiveness. by Jay Adams
he writes:
The problem is not self-forgiveness. Their expressed agaony stems from the very fact that, in the worst way, they want to forgive themselves. They want to put it all behind them, they want to bury it once and for all..... The problem is that people who talk this way recognize something more needs to be done. forgiveness is just the beginning; it clears away the guilt. They recognize that they are still the same persons who did the wrong--- that though they are forgiven, they have not changed. Without being able to articulate it, and using instead the jargon they have heard all around them , they are crying out for the change that will assure them they will never do anything like it again. When as a counselor, I help them to deal with the problems in their lives that led to the wrong, in such a way that they lead a more biblical lifestyle, I then ask" Are you still having trouble forgiving yourself? Invariably , they say no.
unquote
I again think forgiveness is strictly due to the Savior and its to the cross I run and to the cross I cling because He has gained forgiveness for me through His precious blood.
2 cor 2;10-11
Forgiveness restores joy like nothing else can
2 Cor2:7
Ps 51
Ezek:18:23,32, 33:11
Lam 3:33
Isa: 4:23 cf, Matt 12:20
Isa 57:15-19 God delights to revive and uplift the heart of the contrite
And fulness of joy 1 john 1:4
Gal 5:22
Forgiveness affirms love
Forgiveness proves obedience
Frogiveness revitalizes fellowship
Forgiveness thwarts Satan
it is essential....forgiveness....to the cross I cling!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment