Thursday, September 4, 2008

Writers Blog Bloc

Havent written for awhile. I think I have somewhat of a writers block. Its amazing when there is so many things that have been going on in my head and heart, I dont know whats more important I guess.
I have finished reading alot of books this summer which I am grateful for. They have really encourged me as I have been off on bible studies while everyone is taking a break. I dont know why groups take off from the Word of God, that seems so wrong. I dont think we need to take a break so to speak.
In some respects though it gives me time to read inspiring authors and be ready to start new studies for the fall and I look forward to jumping back in.
I finished a book called the Shack...which I wont comment on. It was the worse book I ever read. I was just reading it( fiction) to discern it for others who wondered what I thot. Enough said. It wasnt worth sitting down to read it. Satan uses books like this to draw Christians from the faith.
Next I read Pilgrims Progress again( one of my favorite books by John Bunyan) though I have it in the Old English I did read the The new Pilgrims Progress and it was easy reading but a reminder of what I have read in the past. Its one of the best allegorical books written by a Christian.
Next I read Giants of the Faith by Raymond Brown who did commentary on books written by Augustine, Martin Luther, John Bunyan, John Wesley
He took themes from their books for instance " Confessions" by Augustine and talked about the need for God, confessing our sin, he wove into the story the bios of each. On Martin Luther it was on prayer and how he wrote a book about prayer for his barber. John Bunyan was on the purpose of mediation which he has alot of time to write about because he was in jail when he wrote so much" GRace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners and the meaning of meditation in our lives. John Wesley" Holy Living and Holy Dying" the author comments about his life and exerpts from this book about holy life living.
I like it , I found it informative and inspiring and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

The next book I read and am going over it again is David Jeremiah book" Searching for Heaven on Earth...how to find what really matters in Life. I like it its on the book that Solomon wrote Ecclesiates.
Its mostly Solomons perspective that all is vanity and we strive after the wind. That we find no satisfaction apart from God. Money, things relationships, even kingdoms, power etc. WE find not satisfaction except in God alone. I love this book and am re- reading some of it again. REally grasping the meaning of what Solomon wrote about in this book. People have thought it depressing I find it inspiring and real, really reality, and a reminder that God has given me everything I need for this life and the life to come. My contentment is Him alone or it should be. and that reminds me to pray. So for the most part I think that this is what I learned most of all this summer is to pray more and talk to the Lord more sincerely, honestly and pour out my heart before Him. This is a good thing and I am grateful for Him showing me my need.

This is also my last week of taking my friend Bev through partners program( faith fundamentals) and it was 10 weeks focusing and praying with her and time well spent. It has been a fruitful summer and I am pleased about that, and look forward to digging in to Gods Word once more in the Kings and Chronicles and also back to Ezekiel where I will finish that class in Jan.
The Lord is good and His mercies are new every morning ...Great is His faithfulness ( lamentations)

No comments: