Sunday, August 3, 2008

Instruments of change

Been reading a great book by Paul Tripp" Instuments in the Redeemers Hands", been learning alot about change and how as Christians we do it, how we do it biblically. Really its kind of hard, though " nothing is impossible with God" and so I am up to making some changes in my own heart. That is what this book is about. The Bible is the tool to teach us how, its our instruction to do book. I have alot of knowledge about the Word which helps, I have alot of insight too that might help me but when it comes down to where the rubber meets the road I have to ask myself questions as to wether I am actually implementing those changes in my life. I understand in my walk with the Lord there is Him working in me to work out my salvation , but that does not mean I am passive to actually do nothing. he asks me to be obedient to the things, principles, tests of scripture that are spelled out clearly and concisely.
Example:
What does the Bible say about( info)? say relationships, marriage, friendships etc...
Like , my main relationship is with my husband ( Gen 2, Eph 6) am I living this way?( according to all the passages on this subject that God calls me to.
Relationship struggles reveal our hearts ( luke 6:43-45, Mark 7)
Is it easier to see anothers faults that to see my own? ( Matt 7:3-5 ; Heb: 3:12-13)
God calls us to peace Matt 5:9; Ro 12:14-21
God call us to be agents of reconciliation 2 cor 5:16 -21
Forgivness is the way to peace and reconciliation Luke 17:3-4 ; Eph 4:29-5:2
God give us everything we need to work on changes( marriage example) 2 peter 1:3-9
God clearly states how we should relate to the other Eph 5 :22-33
Core issue, not what I want and the best way to get it but what god wants and the best way to pursue it.
These are examples for me to examine the goals for my change.
To move from blind self- righteousness to humble awareness
bitterness to forgiveness
vengence to seeking to do good
self- protection to loving and sacrificial service to another
anger withdrawl to productive communication
seperation to the pursuit of reconcilation
entrusting God and quit being the Holy Spirit
I am learning to see myself thru the mirror of Gods Word as I study
keeping a prayer journal to help me ask myself questions and how my actions play out in light of what I know
I am encourged then to focus on a clear understanding of my relationship to God( my job to do list) and then entrust( what isnt on that job for me list) to God
Ps 73 and 1 Peter 1 helps me face any discourgement , anger and fear when people fail me and I start to self -absorb and about it being nowism, it helps me focus on the unseen, on the eternal. Who I am in Christ and my relationship to Him
What does the Bible say about it?
What are the goals for change?What are the biblical methods for accomplishing Gods goals for change?

What helps me too is define Gods job and my job( making a list) and clarifying responsiblity, an dont cross over into His reponsiblity think I need to do it.( Holy Spirits job)
Lastly for my thot on this is to trust and obey...simple but hard to do
Ro 12:14-21
Bless those who persecute you
be tender and compassionate
Commit to living in harmony
Do not be proud( hard one)
As far as you can, live at peace with everyone
Love your enemy, meet his need
Overcome evil with good
Hold on to Gods grace and glory its the only way to deal with dissapointment and loss...because He is our sufficiency for everything we need.

No comments: